In the film department, students learn the complete workflow of a (feature) film production. The goal and task is for each student to create his or her own personal short fiction film. In the winter semester the basics of dramaturgy will be learned. On the basis of this knowledge, successful and current cinema productions are analysed and criticised. With the help of creative techniques, the writing of a film script begins, from the idea to the final draft, which is implemented as a student research project. At the same time the work with the camera and the light is deepened and practiced. In the summer semester the film is produced on the basis of the script. The work and tasks as a director and producer will be learned and discussed and solution scenarios developed on the basis of the problems that arise during production.
This serves as preparation for professional life and is based on the didactic concept of problem-oriented learning.
In the winter semester, students create a script (5 ECTS) and in the following summer semester produce a short feature film based on the script (10 ECTS).
- Targets: Basics of the dramaturgy of script writing, directing
- Contents: Creative techniques for brainstorming, conception, script, design and implementation of short films produced with a camera. Dissolving scenes into shots. Casting and acting.
- Targets: Advanced knowledge in working with the video camera
- Contents: Continuation of the work with the video camera. Camera in motion: Hand, shoulder camera, camera movements, Steadycam. Advanced lighting technology. Introduction to the work with the exposure meter.
- Targets: Conception and realisation (budgeting, scheduling, legal aspects) of a film
- Contents: Complete execution of your own film project from research to postproduction based on the knowledge gained during your undergraduate studies and the focus of your studies.
Documentary film with compulsory focus module
- Targets: Basic knowledge of montage in film and video as well as basic knowledge of documentary film.
- Content: Basics and development of assembly technology. History of assembly using selected films. Introduction to the aesthetics and effects of editing and assembly. History and aesthetics of the documentary film. From the Lumiére brothers to current productions. Presentation and analysis of groundbreaking documentaries.
- From documentary work and seeing. Differences between fiction and non-fiction films.
- The seminar aims not only to give an insight into documentary film history and to train procedures of documentary film analysis, but also to discuss concepts of an aesthetics of documentary film.